View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Timeout

Rule 5-8-3 Timeouts can only be granted a) whent he ball is in control or at the disposal of the requesting team, or b) the ball is dead.

The ball is dead as soon as it goes through the basket and until the inbounding team secures it. It is practical to 'see' the request for a time-out before you 'see' the inbounding team get the ball.

In fact, I don't like your #B, although the rules support your conclusion (as does CB 5.8.3 Sit B). Yes Team A, the inbounding team, can call a timeout when the ball is at their disposal - could be laying on the floor. But, independent of the official's count, I personally would also grant a timeout to Team B if Team A hadn't yet secured the ball - I surely would not continue the count to the point of a violation on Team A if Team B is requesting a timeout and then grant the ball and a timeout to Team B. Personally it feels like too much of a penalty - let Team B save Team A's loss of the ball. JMHO. Anyone want to sway me to the rule book side of things?

My position is not supported by the rule book but I see it as preventive officiating - and not giving an advantage to anyone.