View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

This question was being kicked around in our association....curious for feedback here. NFHS.

Team A just scored a basket.

A: team B retrieves the ball and starts to inbound it. The Ref has started his/her 5-second count. Team A requests a time-out at this time.

B: The Ball is loose. The Ref has started his/her 5-second count because Team B has had plenty of time to secure the ball and start the throw in. Team A requests a time-out at this time.

C: The ball is loose. The Ref has NOT started his/her 5-second count. Team A requests a time-out at this time.

I think we'll all agree

A: no TO granted to A
B: no TO granted to A because ball was considered at B's disposal
C: Time Out Granted to A

Can anyone cite the NFHS rule book covering C:?

How can a team be granted a time out during a live ball without any type of control. I think we will agree that the ball has to become dead for some period in there in order for the correctable error system to work. But how is this really any different than any other situation where the ball is live but there is no team control and therefore no time out allowed? (Interrupted Dribble, Shot Attempt, Jump Ball, etc etc)

I personally had a play last week where the ball was checked by the net....became loose on the floor for 2...maybe 3 seconds. Team B had not secured the ball but wasnt really delaying doing so. A then asked for a time out. I gave it to them. I believe this to be proper but I honestly have not found where in the rules this is covered clearly.

Food for thought....

If the argument is that the ball is dead until it's at the disposal of B, what if A commits a foul before hand. Technical? Cant be personal if the ball is dead right?

So....here are questions for discussion:

When does the ball become dead?

Is there enough dead ball time here to make any personal foul technical (by the rule not considering our game management practices which make a tech here unlikely)? I'm talking basketball fouls here not A5 telling you "your mother wears army boots".

When does the ball become back alive?

When does the ball become at the disposal of B?

Why can A call time out without team control during this live ball sitch?

Is this one of those situations where the answer is: BECAUSE NFHS SEZ SO!!!

Are you dizzy from thinking about this yet?

Ok Old Dawgs....have at it.

Larks - VIT