View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 09:13am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Yes, if it was doing games that another group of officials declined to do in their pursuit of a decent per game fee.

Some officials are refusing games at the current ridiculously low state pay scale to try and raise the game fee levels for all of the officials in their state. The buzzards though are happy to swoop in and take those games at the current ridiculously low state pay scale to make a few extra bucks. The result? The LHSAA is happy as hell to get their games covered and there is absolutely no incentive for them to ever offer the officials a raise. Been like that since 2007, hasn't it?

The buzzards deserve $36 a game imo.
I don't get the reason for taking games 150 miles away, personally. Is it some "think of the children, let's swoop in riding white horses and save them" mentality? Well, those children will be just fine missing a game or two or even more if necessary.

I found the fees for LA:

http://lhsaa.org/images/db_handbook/47.pdf

Basketball - $36 for 2-person, $31 for 3-person (only at the highest classification -- at lower classifications, an official could receive as little as $28 in a 3-person crew)

Soccer - $45 per official

Baseball - $55 per official

Football - $75 per official (the white hat gets an extra $15)

Softball - $95 per crew (it appears the plate umpire gets $50 and the base umpire $45)

What I find stunning is that basketball officials and soccer officials are so underpaid compared with other sports. I mean, basketball paid considerably less than SOFTBALL? Really?