View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 12:15am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Since when are local officiating associations in competition with each other for schools? Offering lower fees? No travel fees?

Snaq is right. It's throwing your fellow officials under the bus. Here, the NCHSAA doesn't allow it. You get officials from the local association you're assigned to. We avoid such nonsense.
The only way there is competition is who is providing the best quality job, which obviously is in the eye of the beholder. Who goes where is decided to a large degree by geography, but, as far as I know, any school is free to use any association it chooses. Mileage is paid based on distance from the home of the association, not the actual mileage driven by the officials on any given night. So, game fees + mileage can still sometimes come out to be exactly the same for one school which changes from one association to another.
As far as Snaq's comment earlier about one group standing up for itself, I'm all for that but not when it leaves people in a lurch while breaking a previous agreement. I own a Mack truck. I haul mainly for myself, but occasionally for others. If I have been hauling for you for a hundred bucks a trip and decide I need more, I should call you to discuss terms, right in the middle of a load.

"Hey, boss. I'd like to keep hauling for you, but the next load is gonna cost a hundred and fifty. What? Too pricey? Fine, that's up to you, but in that case I'm just gonna dump this load on the side of the road."

Is this how one "stands up for oneself" in other parts of the world? Not here.

Lonesome Dove

Last edited by just another ref; Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 12:27am.