View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Who do you protect?

Your partner or the game integrity. It seems to me that your priority should be to make the right call, especially if it is a correctable error (not a judgement call).

A couple years ago I had R1 at 2B, 2 outs. After pitched ball was returned to F1, R1 is slowly making way back to 2B. F1 raises her arm, R1 immediately stops and dances. BU, who is intently focused on R1 calls her out. R1 and defensive players leave field. Stunned, I am standing at home plate wondering what to do. Stop the exit of players? Quickly go talk to BU? Actually, I was hoping that the offensive coach would bail me out and raise the issue. But she didn't, and I let it go.

Later I broached the subject between innings; BU didn't even know that F1 faked a throw. He did even know that he should have been watching F1.

So some good came out of it; he learned something new. But if it happened again today, I think that I would quickly get to the BU, explain what I saw and ask if he wanted to change his call. If he said "no," only then would I let it go.
WMB