View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 07:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Burke's Law ...

Connecticut is an all IAABO state. All of our public high school, and Catholic high school, assigners are hired by the local IAABO boards. It is my understanding that the state board (overseeing all the local boards) signs a contract with the state interscholastic sports governing body every year.

For the past several years we have been having problems getting paid by the high schools in one of our largest cities. The excuse was always that the schools send the paperwork the Board of Education office, who then sends the paperwork to city hall, who then cuts the checks. The paperwork was always getting lost during this journey. It got really ridiculous two seasons ago, I finally got paid on July 14 for a game that I did before Christmas. I got paid because I was persistent, several phone calls, which always switched over to voice mail, and several emails, all of which were never responded to. I finally got my assignment commissioner, and secretary treasurer, involved, and that's how I finally got paid. Many probably never got paid, especially those who didn't keep accurate records, those that just go out to their mailbox, open up a check, and go to the bank to cash it. Others just gave up.

At several local board meetings we all complained that we needed to get their attention with some type of job action, like not working any more of their games. We were told that we couldn't because that would have been a breach of contract.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Feb 02, 2011 at 07:58pm.