Thread: handchecking
View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 10, 2000, 11:01am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Ralph Stubenthal
I know that different chapters in different areas tend to allow more or less hanchecking than other areas. How is the best way to control handchecking--zero tolerance takes away from the game--advantage-disadvantage is hard sometimes to determine. I tend to use alot of warnings the first few minutes of the game and then start tagging. Still, when you have 2 big boys rooting around offball near the paint, it's tough to call. You veteran official's opinions and expertise are very valuable to me in this area so please shed some light on this topic for me, thanks, Ralph.
Ralph,
Rightly, or wrongly, I generally reserve the Hand-checking violation for an "On-ball Defender" against an opponent who, with the ball, is attempting to make a move, or drive, in the direction of the basket. Otherwise, I will be going to illegal hands, pushing, holding.
With active players in the post, ...if I wonder, if there is an A/D, then I say to myself there is no A/D. In other words, if I am not sure, I call nothing. If I am sure, no problem..."Tweet".
mick