Thread: Yikes
View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Yikes

What do you do when a partner kicks a call? Not misses a call or sees it differently, if by rule he gets it wrong.

Situation (FIBA rules): Shot clock is running down from 24, ball must hit the rim or go in before the horn sounds on the shot clock to avoid violation. Shot clock only remains on until clock runs. It immediately goes to 23 for presumably 23.9999999 to 23.0, then 22 etc. You can only see the 24 -23- 22 though.

In case you can't see where this is going it a late clock situation with 1 second left on the shot clock player A1 catches to shoot. Clock hits 0 (where it will remain until 0.999 - 0 runs out and horn sounds) and kid shoots it where it hits the rim and horn sounds. I yell play on from the trail. Lead blows his whistle and signals 24 second violation. Coach A jumps up, clearly upset and loudly but not confrontationally claims its not a violations. L explains the shot clock was at zero and there was a delay in the horn. Coach B (home coach) jumps in and explains that there is always the delay, pointing out how clock works. Coaches for A and B are now in agreement its a violation I walk over to the L and ask what he wants to do. He barks at both coaches to sit down, and tells me the horn is supposed to go when the clock hits 0. Its a 24, B ball.

We play on coach A asks me if he understood what happened I said "I don't think sees it the way you do."

After the game we talk about the situation. Rules say nothing about whether the clock should only read 0 at 0 or 0 from 0.9-0. L still claims it is a clock issue and the call should be made and horn go off as soon as the clock reaches 0.

Both coaches handled it pretty well at the time. But as a partner in this or any situation where I know my partner gets the call wrong by the book, but won't even discuss changing it: what do you do?

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!