View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 29, 2011, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BballRookie View Post
New guy here: I was officiating in city league a while ago and during a very heated game I made a delayed call and one team went ballastic. One of the players on the heated team was an official, and he lost his cool. They had no subs, so fatigue was at play, and really he was furious because they lost a giant lead and nearly the game(they won in the end).

I know I screwed up the call so I let it go and ignored him. What consitutes as verbal abuse? Swearing? A player saying "you suck ref!"? Making chippy remarks? Insulting the level you are officiating at?

Any comments, direction, or crazy stories are appeciated.
It sounds like you may be just starting out officiating, if you are (or aren't), I would avoid adult city league games. I only do two adult games a year and that is the christmas alumni games. Adult leagues have more chippy, arrogant players and some of the coaches are more than a complete a$$!! I don't tolerate, "you suck", or other similar verbal abuse, "bad" profanity (whatever that is) is not put up with either at any level. A possible suggestion is officiate 4-6 grade level games to start and work up from there. These games are a lot easier in a lot of ways and you'll see things you never thought possible during a basketball game! Good Luck, when a player or coach is starting to ruin my fun as an official I tend to focus on them and a "T" quickly follows!