View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 29, 2011, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
At too many of the schools in our area, when we have a female partner, the accomodations for her are lacking or non-existent. So, often, a female official will have to come dressed.
With the newer high schools, they are including facilities for the officials, but still just one officials' room/area. Last year, a female partner met me for our game, and she used the restroom side of the the officials' area, while I used the locker side.
I really wish more respect for our female officials were built into the attitude of those who design the facilities.
It's coming. Two of the newer schools in our area have two equal dressing rooms for officials. Now this wasn't necessarily done to accommodate female officials. Both schools are small and both boys and girls teams come at the same time. JV of one will play in one gym and varsity in another with the officials lockers in between. We have a boys officiating association and a girls association. So most often one crew will use one room and the other crew will use the other room. When there are females on one crew or the other, use of the rooms is split accordingly.

Meanwhile, your female officials should speak up for equal facilities. It is unacceptable for them to be using closets or restrooms. It's getting better for us district wide but only because I have been speaking up about it and encouraging the younger ones to do so as well. We have an association which backs us up on this.

Rita