View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 03:34pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Let me explain the terminology. Around here, there are two "types" of kids programs (except for a very few school MS leagues). They are usually referred to as "competitive" and "recreational". In fact, the "official" name of some of the leagues include the word "competitive" in their titles. While the teams in the recreational organizations certainly try to win their games, their emphasis is on having fun, learning the game and practicing good sportsmanship. Most of the kids in the competitive groups are the better players (or kids whose parents think they're better players ) and their parents are willing to pay much, much more in registration and uniform fees, plus there's quite a bit of travel around the Metro area. The competitive programs started up about 10 years ago. Prior to that, all kids played in the same programs and there was much more disparity between the playing skills of the players.
And let me explain my thinking.

All sixth grade age and under games are recreational or should be imo. The people that want to label them "competitive" are taking themselves way too seriously. We run into them all the time here during local club tournaments. They all think their 10 year old are playing in the NBA finals.

There's nothing the matter with trying to have the kids play within the skill level they have at a particular time of their development, but the individual skill levels can change real quickly when they're that age. But no matter what, the focus of the coaches should be to (1) let the kids have fun (2)impart some life lessons, and (3) increase individual skills. Winning games should come in around 4323rd place at that age.

Hell, even Calipari doesn't offer the kids scholarships until they're in the seventh grade.

But that's just me generally on all kids sports, Mark, at that age.