View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

I am going for the worlds longest post!

Good reply's one and all. I will do my best to hit as many themes as possible:
- Yes, I was being a dick in #3 and #4. I admit it. Let emotions get the better of me for awhile. I apologized to the other coach and the offical about it.
- In #2 the official was right there and the tone I used wasn't bad and the official didn't seem to take it in a bad way. He actually said "Ok" Should I have said it? No. I usually tell my wife to tell the official those things.
- The only time I raised my voice was in talking with my players. I was not ranting and raving up and down the sidelines. In the past I had a tendancy to stand up and call plays etc, but I have worked very hard on staying seated doing the same thing.
- For those asking what I would have done with an assistant coach in that situation that is an interesting question. For starters, I wouldn't have missed those plays. Secondly,I would only address the head coach. In #4 I was the one being directly addressed, probably b/c I was the one instructing them to get to the 3 pt line. If the comments were directed to the head coach, it takes the AC out of the loop. Finally, I would have whacked me in #4 and call the bluff, I would have asked the HC to take care of her bench after #3 and maybe #2. But again, if you don't engage an AC in a conversation, it takes care of a lot of this.
- What "example" was I setting for the officials and/or our players. This is a really great question and we can go on and on. As for the officials, they were certainly not newbies. Even though they were not from our association, unless they started VERY late in life, they had been around a long time, so this was not a case of me picking on some newbies. It also goes to show that coaches and assistant coaches will give you as much crap as you are willing to take. Also, knowing the rules helps. Simple rule knowledge would have difused the whole scenario. With regards to the players, I know what we teach, I would be more interested in hearing what "bad things" were supposedly taught. I do know that it further emphasizes that officials don't cost you a game. Your actions as a player determines the outcome of a game.

- RICH in #1, I didn't say anything. Most of the rest of what you said I agree with 100%. Yes I was "That" guy, however, I'm not sure if they knew I officiated or not. I WAS glad my wife didn't play the "My husband is an official" card. As someone said to me "You tried to show up an official with your superior rules knowledge". That made the point to me.
- SNAQ - Thanks for clarifiying the "On the 3 pt line" comment. Glad our players understood it! Like I said, I would have whacked the mouthy assistant too! And my wife was shooting for the T and she is a very good shot!
- Freddy - Which one do you THINK you were
- ROCKY I do believe you did make up a new word, and I like it! Not sure how the players were involved in it however. They weren't being asked to do anything illegal
- MandM - you make great points. I would disagree about the equivelancy of officials and coaches. When I am officiating I could not care less who wins. I have only a vested interest the crew and me doing our jobs. I am an unbiased participant. As a coach, I have a vested interest and a biased view. Block, charge, hold, push, hit, those are the jobs of the officials, and knowing that I am biased actually helps me keep my mouth shut. More often than not I find myself explaining to our players WHY it was a foul and what they need to do to avoid a foul in the future. At least for me the emotions I feel as an official and a coach are completely different. I have been leading this "double life" for about 7 years, and my bench decorum hasn't been an issue with the exception of the above mentioned standing to call plays.
- JUST Really? Questioning my character on just this post? Did you ever have an assistant coach say anything to an official? Did you also find them of poor character and aberrant? I did not come here to brag, just state what happened. Hopefully, the above clarified.
- JUR REF - We obviously don't see eye to eye on much, but I would be interested in the "What if.." What if you received a tape of the above rules being kicked, of the officials addressing the AC etc. What action would you take? How would you handle the officials? (For this question, the AC would NOT be an official) Not trying to be a smart ***, but I think it might be helfpul to others on the board how something like this would play out. There are those who fear "getting a tape sent in", especially when they kicked something, and having the curtain pulled back may put some at ease.

Hope that clarifies things. Thanks for all the responses, makes for good reading and serves as good "penance" to keep myself in check!! "Read The Official Forum and memorize the "Bench Personnel" section of the rule book and sin no more! If I didn't address something you think I should, just let me know!