View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 11:47am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Hmmmm. Do you really think Scrappy lied to you in the OP when he said that A1 released the ball to start a dribble? That's a given!

Why can't people just take Scrappy's question at face value instead of bringing in things that have got nothin to do with what he's asking? Scrappy said the dribble started. That's good enough for me. What constitutes the start of a dribble is a completely different conversation that has nothing to do with this thread.

Forget about the start of the dribble. Say A1 has dribbled 7 times. On his eighth dribble, he pushes the ball down, the ball hits his foot without touching the floor and goes straight back up, and then A1 pushes the ball to the floor again. Is that a violation, by rule, for touching the ball twice during the same dribble?

Unless I'm confused, That's what Scrappy's been asking from the git-go.
If scrappy is offended by my question, he'll say so. Here's the OP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
A1 receives a pass and releases the ball to start a dribble. The ball hits the top of his foot, never touching the floor, and bounces straight up. A1 then bats the ball to the floor.
Note, it never touches the floor. Sure, he released it to start the dribble, but when the ball never touches the floor, was it a dribble? I think it is relevant to the question.

Your altered situation removes one of my two points, to be sure. Now, the only question is whether a player has to bat the ball into the air in order for it to be a violation.