View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 11:39am
This IS My Social Life

Pet Peeves

Of course, this is all after the fact. But perhaps this idea might be useful to keep the same kind of thing from happening again with your next new guy/gal.
A favorite thing to do in a pre-game is ask a partner new to me the question, "What are two or three of your favorite pet peeves, that is, what do you see partners doing and you say to yourself, 'I hope this new guy (me) won't do that tonight." This opens up the opportunity to express one or two things during the pregame which, though not necessarily pointed at the new partner, will come across loudly and clearly with the likelihood that the new partner will adjust to the pet peeves you've expressed.
This was a successful, non-offensive way for me to deal in advance with not a few "That Guys" assigned to me for the first time, whose shortfalls I had seen in games I've observed previously.
I began to do this because of a similar situation two years ago--partner wouldn't call a thing, nor use any mechanics, approved or not. Called the assignor who was unaware of this and adjustments were made to his schudule for the benefit of all. I think he went on to volleyball or something.
Contributions by posters of this discussion board helped me come up with a good list of pet peeves.