View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 12:02pm
Esteemed Forum Member

What Would Jesus Do ???

First T's of the year for me yesterday. Prep school varsity game.

A1 gets fouled in the act, not a hard foul, ball doesn't go in, by B1. My partner heads to the table to report. I head to new lead to administer free throws. A1 sees me coming, and while turning his back to me, and to B1, tosses the ball over his shoulder to me, and the ball hits B1 squarely in the face. B1 becomes quite agitated, so I speak to him, and his teammates, trying to calm them down (I really do understand why they're upset), which I successfully accomplish. This happens a few feet from the fans, who start yelling at me that I'm talking to the wrong (and wronged) player, which further incites the players. One particular fan actually got out of his seat and came a few feet onto the court to complain.

No site director available, so I go over to the Team B home head coach and ask that this fan be ejected. His assistant coach stands and tells me that I can't do that. I tell the head coach to control his bench. Assistant coach continues to complain. First technical foul of the year. Fan is ejected.

My partner and I get the two head coaches, and all the captains, together to discuss the situation, with the emphasis being that this was a good game up until that point, the ball tossed into the face was totally accidental, and that the rest of the game was salvageable with the cooperation of all involved. They all agree and we head back to the court.

On the way back to the court I come within six feet of one of Team B captains yelling, "F*** you", to one of the substitutes on the Team B bench. I wish I had heard what was said previous to that, but I didn't, so, second technical foul of the year.

Team A, visiting team, shoots the two free throws for in the act, shoots two for the technical on the assistant coach, shoots two for the technical foul on the captain, and a Team B fan has been ejected. On the way home I report to my assignment commissioner and we decide that much of this could have been avoided if a site director had been available.

Here's the kicker. The home team is a Christan school, they all prayed together before the game, and from their website, "Every activity, from athletics to art, from theater to peer tutoring, from science labs to the dining hall, from music to mission trips, serves to reinforce the message that your child has been uniquely designed by God and has a unique call on his/her life. The school is proud to play a part in developing young students’ lifelong dedication to excellence, integrity and truth."

I guess that the assistant coaches aren't required to adhere to good Christan values? I guess that the parent/fans send their kids there so that their kids won't grow up to be like them? Not sure that's it's working.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)