View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 01:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72 View Post
Hello all!

I'm a football and baseball official and I don't know very much about hockey at all. I have a couple incredibly basic questions about the referees:

1) My friend told me that the referees are the only ones that can call penalties and the linesmen only call offside, icing, and break up fights. My question is why are the linesmen restricted from calling penalties? If something happens right in front of them, they're not allowed to call it? That seems odd to me...
If it's a major or match penalty (a very serious infraction where the player will be disqualified) he can go to the referee at the next stoppage and tell him what he saw. The referee then calls the penalty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72 View Post
2) I noticed everyone has a finger pea whistle. Why no lanyards? Also, why no fox-40's (non-pea whistles)?

Thanks!
I don't know why they always use whistles with peas. I can't say for sure why they use finger whistles but would guess players and officials move so much faster in hockey they don't want a lanyard to get caught on someone or something.