View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 03:53pm
This IS My Social Life

Speaking Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by reffish View Post
What not to say:
So why the distinction of a speaking captain?
Do any of you sense that the "captain" role has become merely ceremonial for most teams nowadays? The book asks us to identify the captain (singular). Maybe the whole "speaking captain" thingie evolved from guys not wanting to demean the other two or three or four or five, whatever, by asking, "OK, which one of you two or three or four or five is the real captain?"
Shucks, there's no prohibition for the whole team to answer the call if they wanted to. And frankly, I wouldn't mind having everyone from both teams come out and hear my dog and pony show on sportsmanship.
Still, identifying the captain is a required responsibility of ours.
Some find the whole "speaking captain" thing misleading anyway, since most will certainly allow any player to speak to them in a polite and respectful manner, right?

I like it most when my partner introduces me as the non-speaking official. That way I don't feel compelled to respond to anything the coach says to me.