View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 08, 2000, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by Bfair
The plays I am trying to discuss, and which seldom are called, are the obstructions where the fielder fails to vacate a preset position of blocking a base, drops to block a base at the last second, or where he steps into the runners path WHEN IT IS UNNECESSARY to go there to make the play. I was taught at the state level, have in print from their training materials, and agree with their philosophy that a potentially offending player should never get the benefit of the doubt.
I don't suppose you'd share with us direct quotes from those training manuals, the authors' names, the state to which you refer. I must tell you I am amazed at those instructions. If you don't want to post them publicly, email that material to me in private at [email protected].

Trainers who instruct umpires to "look for obstruction" (deny the defense the benefit of the doubt) are merely "looking for boogers." What you should do is "watch" for obstruction (follow the proper mechanics).

Rmember: If the fielder must be there....

Here's a brief history of the obstruction rule (JEA 7:37):
Quote:
From 1897 until 1950: The runner had the right of way unless the fielder was in the act of fielding the ball or the fielder had the ball in his possession ready to touch the base-runner.

In 1950, a new “obstruction” rule was written. This new rule established two types of obstruction: (a) the batter becomes a runner and is impeded as he advances around the bases; and (b) a runner who is caught in a run-down is impeded as he attempts to reach a base.

In the first type obstruction (type a), the ball remained alive and the umpire awarded bases as he saw fit after all play had stopped. In the run-down situation, the umpire stopped play and awarded the runner the base he was attempting to reach. if the base he was attempting to reach was occupied by a succeeding runner, that succeeding runner was permitted to return to the base he last legally held.
In 1962 the current obstruction states was written, which provides for: Type A (runner being played on), an immediate dead ball; and a fielder "wandering" into the path of a runner: Type B (runner not being played on), delayed dead ball.

You write: "Too frequently I see fielders on pickoff attempts or inbound throws blocking bases with knees and having to reach above their head to the limit to reach the throw."

To my knowledge, no professional umpire has ever called "obstruction" on a pick-off throw. The throw arrives so quickly and is so subject to the catcher's or pitcher's wildness, that fielders can never be sure exactly where they should set up. So, they set up in front of the base.

Obstruction on a pickoff? That's purely amateur baseball -- and purly wrong. For example, the JEA and J/R each have more than 10 obstruction examples (total of over 20). None concerns attempted pickoff plays.

Remember the history, read the statute, and umpire accordingly.