View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 08, 2000, 03:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Re: Obstruction

Quote:
Originally posted by Bfair
"Near enough so he must occupy" is where I have trouble with particular emphasis on the word MUST. Too frequently I see fielders on pickoff attempts or inbound throws blocking bases with knees and having to reach above their head to the limit to reach the throw. The other technique is standing and placing a foot 2-3 feet directly into the runners path while reaching considerably away to catch the ball. The obvious intent is to block the base. Frequently the arrival of the ball and runner making contact is simultaneous. QUESTION BEING--MUST the fielder occupy that position or is he doing it only because he physically can while managing to block the runner from the base while still managing a catch. Other positioning would provide him a better opportunity to field the ball and try a tag.
I will regularly call this obstruction.
You say: "I will regularly call this obstruction." I wish you wouldn't. It isn't. I'm not going into great detail because Jim Porter already did that. But the phrase you take umbrage with is quoted directly from the rules. (OBR 2.00 Obstruction)

There are many rules that appear "unfair" to the average umpire but which are rules nevertheless. Let me give just one example. OBR says a runner must avoid a fielder in the base path if the fielder is making the first play on a batted ball.

Why?

Doesn't the base path belong to the runner? Why should he have to detour just because a fielder is in his way?

The point: The fielder MUST be there to field the ball. The fielder has the right of way. If, in the judgment of the umpire, the fielder MUST be there to glove a trhow, there's no obstruction. The fielder has the right of way here, too.

The move you complain about (fielder drops his knee to block the returning runner) has been a coached maneuver for at least a hundred years.

You must realize that the pitcher is supposed to throw to the base. But you and I know pitchers sometimes throw wildly. Allowance must be made for an errant throw.

When in doubt, always err on the side of NO OBSTRUCTION.