View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 09, 2011, 03:52pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBrules View Post
This is what why I called a BC violation. It really rather stunned me at the time because, I guess, it was so unexpected and happened so quickly. I probably wouldn't have questioned the call but for the hit against the backboard.
Like Snaqwells and BktBallRef mentioned, was this a try? That never entered my mind at the time and looking back I am still certain it was a failed pass. I'm not sure I could have enunciated this to anyone had they questioned the call without really thinking it through. Once I was able to get back into my rule book, I saw that 9-9-2 might also apply since the ball did not touch or hit anyone before ending up in the hands of the player who threw it.
This all comes down to whether it's a try. As bob alludes to, it's the same concept for calling a double dribble or travel.

I can tell you, for me, if it hits the backboard, I'm considering it a try. I have no idea what's in the shooter's head.

If it's a try, then team control ceases as soon as he releases it, therefore he's allowed to recover the ball in the BC.