View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 28, 2003, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
The three officials who did last night's game were Steve Welmer, Tom O'Neill, and Ted Hillary. All three are VERY good officials, and all have worked in the Final Four. O'Neill also called the carry at the end of the game. I saw it a couple of times on replay, but didn't get the angle O'Neill did. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on that one. Rick Barnes, the Texas coach, didn't seem to complain.
I'm sure they are all accomplished officials. For now I'll assume that the official thought that the ball was carried (thought he saw something that he didn't) and not that he thinks a high dribble or "mis-timed" dribble is a carry. I saw several angles of that "carry" and it was it most certainly was not even close to a carry (even though Vitale thought it was a carry because he has no clue about the rules despite years as a college coach) It was a huge play in the game and it surprised me that the D-1 ref kicked it. The coach may not have *****ed, but the player sure did because he knew that he did not even come close to a carry. Our local official's association has several guys who do D-3, D-2, and D-1 officiating. It has been my impression that their rule knowledge is actually weaker than our top-rated high school officials. I get the feeling that once they reach the college ranks, they spend all their time working on how they look and quit studying the books.

Z