View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 04, 2011, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jalons
Avoidable....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
We've had a few threads recently about correctable errors, noncorrectable errors, and mistakes, such as coaches requesting and beng granted an excess timeout that later turns out not to be excessive. And players who have been disqualified for five fouls, and it's later discovered that they really didn't have five fouls. All ugly situations. Well, here's another one that happened to a buddy in a recent junior varsity game.

Lead official calls an intentional foul on B1 who fouled A1 in the act of shooting. Ball does not go in. Lead properly signals the intentional foul at the spot of the foul, and reports it as such to the table.

Old trail does not see the intentional foul signal, and, as new lead, lines up players to rebound A1's two shots. New trail does not realize that there is a problem. A1's two shots are successful. Team B takes the last successful free throw out of bounds and successfully makes a throwin to a Team B player. At the next whistle, Team A coach asks the officials why they didn't get the ball back at the site of the intentional foul?

Any way to correct this? What if A1 missed the second shot, any way to correct? What if A1 wasn't in the act of shooting a missed the first half of a one and one, anyway to corect?

Situations such as intentional or technical fouls should be covered in our pregames. If I have one of these situations come up, I meet with one of my partners and explain what was called, how the free throws will be handled (who the shooter on the IF is, any eligible player on the TF), and how/where the following throw-in will be administered. Also, I will meet with one of my partners (if my other partner didn't beat me there) and get this information from him/her if I did not make the call. It only takes a few seconds on the court and keeps us out of many situations that only lead to trouble. Just a little something I picked up at camp one summer.