View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 28, 2003, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

The three officials who did last night's game were Steve Welmer, Tom O'Neill, and Ted Hillary. All three are VERY good officials, and all have worked in the Final Four. O'Neill called the one foul on the other side of the lane. It was soon after both coaches were vehemently complaining to the officials about the lack of calls with all the contact. O'Neill looked screened on TV, but let's face it, even the greats don't get every one right.

O'Neill also called the carry at the end of the game. I saw it a couple of times on replay, but didn't get the angle O'Neill did. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on that one. Rick Barnes, the Texas coach, didn't seem to complain.

I think Welmer was on the baseline when the KU player grabbed the ball after the trey and layed it in. I agree with you, I was surprised there wasn't a delay of game in that situation. However, if there had been one earlier in the game, I can understand how he wouldn't have called that one, and I'll be willing to bet that his director of officials would have patted him on the back for that no-call, considering the situation.

However, that is not Welmer's call, period. As lead, his eyes remain on the players in the lane, not the ball. IIRC, the ball was rebounded and laid in w/o ever touching the ground. Welmer would have no way of knowing (other than crowd noise, I suppose) if the 3-point attempt was good, if he was doing his job.

Again, these three guys do a flat-out terrific job 99.99% of the time, and until one of their directors or assignors comes out and says they screwed up, I'm willing to back them all the way.