View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 02, 2011, 02:14am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I thought your question was rhetorical. There is a specific case play which says decide which happened first and go with that call.

Which reminds me:

Many years ago, when I first started, I had very limited rules knowledge, very little in the way of mechanics, and no training. Boys jr. high: A1 caught the ball down low and gave a head fake. 2 players bit on the fake and came flying at him. He recoiled to avoid the first and obviously traveled.
He then started up and was clobbered by the 2nd defender. My partner blew his whistle, I assumed to call the travel. I signaled nothing. He then stepped up to the table and started to report the foul. I stepped in. "No, no, before the shot," and made the travel signal. He nodded and walked away. If that happened now, I would keep my opinion to myself. I see this as a case of right mechanics, wrong call. Apparently some classify the double foul in this example this way, but I don't see anything right about it.
If that happen to me where I had a call, before a foul I would make that known immediately. The violation happened first, why would you not let everyone know that? And if I was the official that was calling the foul, I would want the right call to be made. This has nothing to do with what we are discussing when it comes to a "blarge" situation where there are signals. You have questioned this before, not sure why this is hard to understand when the committees for the NF and the NCAA Men’s have said this is how to handle the situation.

Peace