Thread: Messy situation
View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 29, 2010, 03:42pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Why can you NOT change a foul or uncall a T? We do it on out of bounds all the time. Last year I called a charge because I was straight lined and didnt see the defender push the offensive player into the other defender. My partner just didnt blow a whistle but after I made the call told me what happened. Seemed only right to change from charge to push.

Also couple years ago a head coach had a heart attack in a college game and the officials didnt know what was going on and charged the coach with a T. The NCAA suspended them and said they should have rescinded the T. We can do whatever we please as long as its within the rules and it makes sense.

Here rescinding the T makes perfect sense.
Sure they should have rescinded it; before the FTs were taken. Your case is the same thing, you changed your call prior to the ball being made live (FT or throwin). Same thing with OOB calls.

Let's use the OOB call here.
You call blue.
Just after blue inbounds, your partner realizes you missed something he saw so he blows his whistle and comes to you saying blue had tipped it last.

Assuming he's right; too bad.

Same thing with your foul scenario; once you shoot the first free throw, it's too late. Even if your partner tells you there was a push or a travel that happened first.
There has to be some cutoff, and the pervasive precedent seems to be once the ball is live, it's too late. The exception seems to be with throwins, once it's completed it's too late. Even then, that would indicate you could correct/rescind the T up until the point where the first free throw is completed (at the absolute latest).