Thread: Awful Partner
View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 13, 2010, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

I ran into this situation in an AAU play day last year. It was 14-15 year old girls and working two man crew. I get to the gym and my partner says "I have no idea why I am here because I have only called three games". I told my partner (1) don't be afraid to blow your whistle; (2) when you blow it, make sure you use the mechanics for the call and (3) no ball watching. Well it was a disaster - he NEVER blew his whistle the whole first game - even on OOB, jump balls, etc. He was totally confused throughout the game - and we had three more after it. The coaches were livid. I talked with them between periods and told them I would do the best I could to call it but what happened was if there was no call in my partner's area for an obvious violation, they yelled and if I made the call, they would yell that no way could I see that from my area. (Before the game was over, I had whacked both coaches and ejected one of them.)

I took my partner aside after the game and tried to explain to him what was happening. All he would say was "yea I need to work on that". Next game - same thing but fortunately more understanding coaches. Again, I talked to him after the game but same response.

I don't think he ever called another game after that - he isn't listed in our association any more so I hope he has taken an early retirement