View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 09, 2010, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

In Texas, its almost exclusively coaches picks in terms of what chapter assigns the games, and usually, what crews work. In the early rounds, the coaches may or may not ask for a specific crew -- its hard to tell what percentage. In our chapter, assignments are classified as "CP" as coaches picks or "AS" as assignment committee. CP could mean the coach calls and says, "we'll take Moe, Larry, or Curly's crew -- you pick." AS is when the coaches call and say they want our chapter, but leave the assignment up to the secretary/Pres/VP -- the committee. Not all chapters work this way. I'm told some assign ALL their games by either a committee or the normal assignment secretary. But no one is going to deny specific crew request if that crew is available -- its just semantics.

If the coaches can not agree on either crews or chapters, they'll call the state who will make the assignment by picking a chapter. There's no set requirements, state wide, for those assignments, but the crew chief will be a Division I or II, which typically means at least 8-10 years of experience minimum.

Different chapters will have different requirements on who can be on crews, but in our chapter, a 2nd year guy can and has worked significant early and late round playoff games. That's pretty much on the crew chief.

Late round games for private schools are sometimes held at a central site. Often, these games are assigned to chapters by the organization's office. They've used local chapters in the past but appear to be using more distant chapters recently -- including one crew of our's this year. Unfortunately, it wasn't my crew.