View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 05, 2010, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

I wear a Nike pro mock that keeps me warm, but I haven't worn it in "single" digits. I think its actually best to start with the basics: if you can keep your hands and feet warm (and dry), you are well on your way.

We don't get much cold weather, so I am far from the expert, but from my experience skiing and other cold weather ventures, layering is what you want to do. Start with the mock similar to the one I referenced (or the UA), then in cold but not real cold weather you can wear a standard long sleeve -- I've got a light weight one I bought this year (Smitty) that is great for just this. The mock does all the work, if you will. And if it warms up a bit or doesn't get as cold as you thought, no problem. These things are designed to keep you warm but not overheat.

If its a bit colder, and especially windy, go with the mock and a "weatherbeater" type shirt. Both Honigs and Smitty make those. I'll get one next year -- haven't worn one but hear good things about it. The old standard doubleknit poly shirts might work, but those things have pretty much gone the way of the dino for most everything.

Then, if its really really cold, I'd recommend the mock topped with a fleece pulloever -- either half zip or crew -- topped by the weatherbeater. I can't imagine this not keeping you warm in the coldest of weather. Probably a little bulkier than you'd like but it isn't that bad and still looks a lot better than a jacket.

Bottom line: one mock, one fleece, and 2 long sleeve shirts SHOULD cover most games south of the north pole.