View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 29, 2010, 06:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Coach Requesting Time-Out ...

UConn-Syracuse ends on questionable call - College Basketball Nation Blog - ESPN

Controversial timeout helps Syracuse past UConn - Sports Pros(e)

After the UCONN-Suyracuse debacle, we received the following in an email from our interpreter. It's on the agenda to be discussed at our meeting coming up Wednesday night.

Coach Requesting Time-Out

By now, I assume many have heard about or viewed the time-out granted in the recent UConn-Syracuse game. The NFHS rule book (Rule 5-8-3) and IAABO mechanics 2-person manual (Page 79) do not provide a level of specificity to guide how we officiate this request. While I have reviewed in past years, I will definitely add to next year's Interpretation meeting for our members and coaches.

Here is how we should officiate this:

Upon recognizing a request for a time-out by the head coach, the official must then check to see if a time-out request can be granted (Rule 5-8-3) ball is dead; ball is live and in possession of a thrower-in; player control exists) prior to granting (blowing the whistle) the time-out.

Thus, there will be situations when an official hears a request for a time-out but cannot grant it. Yes, coaches will not like to hear this and will get ticked when you do not grant the time-out. While many officials do not agree that coaches should call time-outs, I recognize that this rule will not change at high school or college level.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Nov 29, 2010 at 07:03pm.