View Single Post
Old Sat Nov 27, 2010, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill S View Post
Now we have : 70 ft. bases
: Infielders playing deeper than Alabama is deep south.
Nothing new, they've been there for about 10 years now.

Quote:
: 5 man deep infields.
This can be a problem, but I found it to be helpful at times when the middle guy will play up.

Quote:
Composite bats that they have learned how to alter and turn into deadly weapons.
It is what it is. I've seen balls of aluminum bats damn near take off a runner's head on 2B. I cannot be worried about that. If I cannot avoid being hit with the ball, I shouldn't be out on the field.

Quote:
But we still are teaching the inside outside classic umping from the 60's saying; "You just have to get there."

It is not that I am old, had a knee replacement and am fat. I have been mulling this for years and talked to many over that time.

Remember when you get nailed and are standing in front of a fielder, it is dead ball. The boys do not understand or take kindly to that. (Plus it hurts like heck).
Only one answer to that . Don't get in the way.

Quote:
I am really leaning toward: "Screw the overall inside outside theory" IMPOSSIBLE TO DO. Have seen more guys get in the way, not get in position, run their butts off and still not be anywhere near they should be.

My premise I think is that the base umpire stays outside with runners on period. If a "perfect storm" happens and he can come in and help or backup his partner, communicate and God Bless him.

Naturally a few of the responsibilities will change. Not a big deal I think,

Also try to remember how many games some of our guys are working a day in tournament settings.

JUST A START.

Something to think about?

And yes I have worked the "longer bases". 2 man with runners on just needs some attention

I guess I just don't see the issue. I've had a knee replacement, was fat when working and am old enough. I've worked 80' bases and didn't have a problem just a few extra steps. The players didn't seem to mind, even had a straight steal on a pitch the catcher received in flight.

Since when do we change mechanic because the umpire isn't capable of doing the job? I've worked baseball and softball, 1-umpire through 6-umpire games and almost as many mechanic variations and I have no problem with I/O. To me, it is the best default available, while others fit well under specific circumstances with advanced crews.

JMHO