Thread: backboard
View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 25, 2010, 08:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Because I love that dirty water, Oh, oh, Boston, you're my home

Nevadaref just muddied the water a little bit.

9.5 SITUATION: A1 dribbles and comes to a stop after which he/she throws the ball against: (a) his/her own backboard; (b) the opponent’s backboard; or (c) an official and catches the ball after each. RULING: Legal in (a); a team’s own backboard is considered part of that team’s “equipment” and may be used. In (b) and (c), A1 has violated; throwing the ball against an opponent’s backboard or an official constitutes another dribble, provided A1 is first to touch the ball after it strikes the official or the board. (4-4-5; 4-15-1, 2; Fundamental 19)

Let me just get this straight in my mind: A1 dribbles and comes to a stop after which he throws the ball against his own backboard and catches the ball. Legal; because a team’s own backboard is considered part of that team’s “equipment” and may be used.

I don't understand the "equipment" explanation, but a casebook play is as good as any other rule citation.

OK. So now we know that the player can stop his dribble, throw it off his own backboard, and legally catch it. My question now: Does he legally "have the same privileges as the other nine players on the court to shoot the ball or begin a dribble"? I say that he legally can shoot the ball, but I still say that he cannot legally start a new dribble because he never attempted a try. According to the 60 Seconds On Officiating website, A1 now does have "the same privileges as the other nine players on the court to shoot the ball or begin a dribble". I still say, "No".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Nov 25, 2010 at 08:48pm.