View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

If you haven't read the thread posted by Tony (BktBallRef)
do so, he makes an excellent argument for why this should NOT be a 2-10 correctable error which hinges on 2 things:

1- the ball remains dead after the first of multiple FT's.
2- This is an error by the defense, no different than when the offense takes the ball OOB after a made basket.

Here it is:

Quote:
Tony's Post
I disagree. This is not "failure to award a merited FT." This is a misttake by the defense. If the administering official indicated that it was a two shot situation, the the ball becomes dead after the FT. It doesn't become live just because B grabs the ball and dribbles down court. The only thing you have is possibly a technical foul on B for delay of game, if you rule that the defense did this intentionally, which I woulkd be reluctant to do unless they did it more than once.
Now, if the official indicates 1 shot or 1 & 1 and this same scenario occurs, then this is a correctable error situation, the lane would be cleared for the shot, and B would get the ball back. But the poster said it was a 2 shot sitch. The question is, "How many FTs did the official indicate?"

This is no different than a situation where a team scores a basket, grabs the ball out of the basket, completes a throw-in and scores again or in a situation where the official places the ball on the floor and the wrong team grabs it and inbounds it. The situations are correctable but are not correctable errors because they are not official's errors. They are errors committed by a team who mistakenly thought they were entitled to the ball.

Do you see my point? If you allow B to keep the ball in this sitaution, then you allow then to rebound a first miss of a 2 shot foul at anytime, dribble up the floor and keep the ball.