View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 11:57am
Administrator

Re: Interesting discussion

Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree
After thorough mental debate (this lasted about .03 nanoseconds ), I have decided this:

Put seven second on the clock clearing the lane for the 2nd shot and then (Made or missed FT) award the ball to B on the endline. IMO, this is the most appropriate solution.

UNLESS Team A did not compete for the rebound on the 1st FT. Then I would go with seven seconds, and play-on with the 2nd FT.

That is my story and I am sticking to it.

With all due respect: WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!!!

Read my post of Jan. 22, 2003, 02:50pm. This is a correctable error than can be corrected. The error was discovered before the dead ball/live ball/clock requirements expired. The rules specifically state that it is a point of interruption correction. NO time is to be put back on the clock.

Lotto in his posting of Jan. 22, 2003, 08:20pm gives an NCAA Men's/Women's Approved Ruling that covers this play. I do not have my rules books in front of me but is also an NFHS Casebook Play for the situation that started this thread as well as a FIBA Casebook Play and the results of all three are the same; the definition of a correctable error in the FIBA rules book is the same, word for word, as the definition in the NFHS and NCAA Men's/Women's rules. If fact the only difference in all three codes is how the NFHS handles the correction if there was no change of possession.

Furthermore, the fact that the period ended and then the correctable error was discovered has no bearing on the play. Lets look at the play point by point.

1) Two free throws were awarded.

2) Only one free throw was shot and it was missed.

3) By rule the first free throw of a multiple throw situation becomes dead when the free throw is either made or when it is obvious that it is not successful.

4) In this situation the officials made two errors: 1) not awarding the second free throw (the correctable error) and 2) allowing the ball to remain "live" (not a correctable error).

5) When the "live" ball (the missed free throw) was touched by a player on the court, the clock stopped.

6) The ball then remained live for the remainder of the period.

7) When the period ended the ball became dead. This was the first dead ball after the clock had started after the error.

8) The error was then discovered before the ball became live after the first dead ball after the clock had started after the error. Therefore, the correctable error was discovered during the allowable time frame and therefore could be corrected by A1 shooting one free throw with no players occupying spaces along the free throw lane.

9) The time period to correct this error would end when the next period starts under the following situations: a) If the next period is to start with an AP throw-in, when the ball would be placed at the disposal of the team (who has the AP arrow) for the throw-in. b) If the next period is to start with a jump ball, when the ball leaves the hands of the official who is conducting the jump ball (NFHS and FIBA: the Referee; NCAA Men's/Women's: the Referee or his/her designee). c) If there is a technical foul during the dead ball period between the end of playing time of the previous period and the start of next period, when the ball is placed at the disposal of the free throw shooter for the first free throw.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio