View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

I understand the rule, and it is very clear. However, it is not clear to me that it needs to be enforced here. Lets take the extreme. Lead is administering a baseline throw-in while trail is bringing in subs. Lead mistakenly gives the ball to A1 right when B1 first steps on the court. You have a T for this? To me, that is six players on the court, and a live ball, but completely the fault of the ref. Seems to me you can use some elasticity to get this one right.

This is far different from B subbing in 3, having 2 leave, and you making the ball live without counting (arguably a game management issue, but you are justified in giving the T here). The case I am referring to is where you make the ball live without allowing B to complete a normal substitution. It is ridiculous to say that the rules require you to now give a T to B and give A two FTs.

You are allowed to make things right in cases like this and this is clearly one where you should do so - you made the error. Admit it and then restart the game.