The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 21, 2003, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Not clear why you had no choice but to issue a T Chuck. Obviously, if ball is live with 6 on the court, it is normally a T. But if you made it live too quickly, because B1 had just legally entered court and you gave B2 no chance to get off, you should have a quick whistle, give B a chance to make it right, and continue on. I think this is the flipside of your inadvertent whistle - and inadvertent live ball

It is not proper to T up B in this situation. Perhaps you meant to say that you shouldn't have T'd them up, but that isn't clear from my reading of your post.
Hawks:

If the ball is live w/ six on the court we have to issue a T. I don't have my rules book w/ today to give citation but it is clearly written. Unfortunately as Chuck already feels bad enough about it is our preventative officiating that keeps this from happening. "Sorry coach, we screwed up but we have to T you for having to many on the court" If we do not issue a T immediately upon discovering this the other coach no has a legit b*tch for us allowing the other team to play w/ an advantage.
Old Tue Jan 21, 2003, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

Say it with me everyone . . .

(Hey - it worked for him
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

I understand the rule, and it is very clear. However, it is not clear to me that it needs to be enforced here. Lets take the extreme. Lead is administering a baseline throw-in while trail is bringing in subs. Lead mistakenly gives the ball to A1 right when B1 first steps on the court. You have a T for this? To me, that is six players on the court, and a live ball, but completely the fault of the ref. Seems to me you can use some elasticity to get this one right.

This is far different from B subbing in 3, having 2 leave, and you making the ball live without counting (arguably a game management issue, but you are justified in giving the T here). The case I am referring to is where you make the ball live without allowing B to complete a normal substitution. It is ridiculous to say that the rules require you to now give a T to B and give A two FTs.

You are allowed to make things right in cases like this and this is clearly one where you should do so - you made the error. Admit it and then restart the game.
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
I understand the rule, and it is very clear. However, it is not clear to me that it needs to be enforced here. Lets take the extreme. Lead is administering a baseline throw-in while trail is bringing in subs. Lead mistakenly gives the ball to A1 right when B1 first steps on the court. You have a T for this? To me, that is six players on the court, and a live ball, but completely the fault of the ref. Seems to me you can use some elasticity to get this one right.

This is far different from B subbing in 3, having 2 leave, and you making the ball live without counting (arguably a game management issue, but you are justified in giving the T here). The case I am referring to is where you make the ball live without allowing B to complete a normal substitution. It is ridiculous to say that the rules require you to now give a T to B and give A two FTs.

You are allowed to make things right in cases like this and this is clearly one where you should do so - you made the error. Admit it and then restart the game.
Hawks:

Totally agree w/ this rationale. Here is an easy solution to prevent the problem that not enough officals utilize IMO. In your pregame (yes I think you should have one even if you have worked together 5000 years) Remind each other that the administering official WILL NOT put the ball in play while I have my hand in the air and am bringing in subs. When I have counted the 10 players I will drop the stop clock signal and now put ball in play. If you are the official bringing in subs maintain as much eye contact w/ your partner (administering official) as possible and if you see that he/she is even thinking about putting the ball in play you are getting on your whistle to get his attention. IMO sub violations such as this happen due to a lack of concentration on our part. Unfortunately sometimes a T gets called on you guys for our error. Too bad there is not a way you all could call a T on us once in a while.... wait a minute there would be none of us refs left

Like I said IMO this should not happen if both officials heads are in the game and good preventative officiating as well as a pregame should keep this from happening. The T is meant for the player who runs onto the court w/out being beckoned IMO.