View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 05, 2010, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
I realize that things may be done differently in different parts of the country and am a firm believer in "Whatever works best for you". I agree, at the Varsity level considering the type formations regularly employed in today's game, positioning "off the field" is clearly the prominent, and appropriate, positioning.

However, it is NOT etched in stone and ALL officials, "that know what the hell they're doing" are usually cognizant and willing to adjust to the game, and within that game, to the situation they are confronted with, at least in my experience. If you haven't learned "one size NEVER fits ALL", you eventually will.

I suspect, a number of officials work at multiple levels and multiple ages and sometimes what makes perfect sense when dealing with world class athletes at the Varsity level just doesn't make all that much sense when it's applied at the Pee Wee level, which is where many officials learn their trade.

"Too" close is always dangerous, but moving in,an appropriate distance, in a 4 or 5 man configuration, in the right circumstance can be a BIG help for overall crew coverage and performance. However, "Whatever works best for you" adjusted to match the level you're working at, should prevail.
You replied to a post about a varsity playoff game where Rich commented about the officials positioning themselves on the field. He wasn't talking about a pee-wee game. Those situations usually only have 2 or 3 officials so I agree it can be necessary for a wing official to pinch a little to help with action after the ball is dead.

I beileve any time you are working with 4 officials or more and at the HS level and above, start on the sidelines and stay there until the play is over if you are a wing official. It's also a good habit to get into if you are starting out working lower levels. Otherwise you could develop bad habits as you move up.