View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 03, 2010, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
NFHS rules require the holder to bring the knee off the ground before handing, passing, or kicking the football. Once the ball is flipped by the holder with the knee on the ground, the play should be blown dead as the exception is not met and therefore the (now) runner is down. 4-2-2a EXCEPTIONS.

I had this happen in a varsity game last season and the coach mentioned the play in the pregame meeting and I gave him the proper ruling and the player flipped it anyway. When I looked over at the coach, he had his hands over his eyes and he told the wing he *told* the kid to raise his knee before passing (backward) the football.
Had that happen in a JV game this year...we did not know about it prior to the snap. When I killed it (knee on ground...flipped backwards over the shoulder to kicker), the coaching staff, and of course, some members of the crowd who mysteriously always know the rules better than the officials, started barking about the play being blown dead. Head coach's argument was that he saw it on TV the week before.....I kid you not. This is also the same school that had their QB throw the ball into the team box, twice, to avoid a sack....you know, because the kid was out of the tackle box. Gotta love it.