View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 02, 2010, 10:09pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITOWN View Post
I retired from football officiating in 2004 and saw a play last weekend that piqued my curiosity. My son's team was playing in NY(Section V AA) in a championship game and with 4 seconds left attempted a fake FG. The holder caught the snap with his knee on the ground and flipped the ball over his shoulder to the kicker who rolled right. The holder then ran to the left and kicker threw back across the field to him for a game winning TD. Is this play legal? Someone asked if for the holder to be eligible to receive the pass his knee needed to be off the ground when he received the snap.
CANADIAN RULING:

The holder with his knee on the ground and possession of the ball is an exception to the ball being dead if done for the purposes of holding for a FGA. For the flip over the shoulder to be legal, the knee must come off of the ground.

Additionally, since the holder is not an ineligible receiver, he most certainly receive a forward pass.

The position of the holder's knee when he receives the snap has no bearing on his eligibility.