View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 02, 2010, 09:31pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
I think both codes agree: the exception for the holder's knee is good as long as he's holding or simulating the hold and he may run or pass or otherwise advance the ball. He can get up or stay down and pass, but once he does that, we go off exception for everyone, including him. His knee having once been down or his status as a holder means nothing in terms of eligibility to catch a forward pass. Since he's a back, only a number would make him ineligible.
NFHS rules require the holder to bring the knee off the ground before handing, passing, or kicking the football. Once the ball is flipped by the holder with the knee on the ground, the play should be blown dead as the exception is not met and therefore the (now) runner is down. 4-2-2a EXCEPTIONS.

I had this happen in a varsity game last season and the coach mentioned the play in the pregame meeting and I gave him the proper ruling and the player flipped it anyway. When I looked over at the coach, he had his hands over his eyes and he told the wing he *told* the kid to raise his knee before passing (backward) the football.

Last edited by Rich; Tue Nov 02, 2010 at 09:33pm.