Thread: Double time-out
View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 31, 2010, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
I would hope that most officials would view this case play from the perpective that I outlined above. What you are advocating is abitrarily picking one coach to favor and one coach to screw. Do you really think that ANY rule in the history of basketball has ever been implented with that intent in mind?
I apologize if I made it seem like I'd arbitrary pick and team to charge a timeout too. If by some rare chance this play ever happened, I would administer the play as directed above.

I still think that many officials would treat a situation like this like they would a multiple foul...it's in the rule book, there's a case book play for it, yet it's never going to be called. Same with a situation where a shooter gets hit on the arm, continues in the air, and a defender comes in late for a blocking foul. I know when I've asked the top officials in my association (many who also work all levels of college as well) how they'd handle these situations, they all told me to pick a foul and go with it. Technically, by rule, that would be arbitrarily picking one player vs the other, and potentially taking away free throws that a team, by rule, is entitled to.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.