Thread: Double time-out
View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 31, 2010, 05:27pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
I think most officials would view this exactly like they'd view a multiple foul. There's the rule and a case book play clearly showing us how to handle it, but practical application means one person is getting charged with a foul, and one team will have their timeout recognized before the other team.
I would hope that most officials would view this case play from the perpective that I outlined above. What you are advocating is abitrarily picking one coach to favor and one coach to screw. Do you really think that ANY rule in the history of basketball has ever been implented with that intent in mind?

Myself, I kinda like to follow the direction given in the front of the rule book...A player or a team should not be permitted an advantage which is not intended by rule." You're advocating giving one team an undeserved advantage by not charging them with a legal, requested timeout.

But that's just me.

Btw, what do tell the coach that asks why he got charged with a TO and his opposing coach didn't?

That case play tells you how to handle a situation where you are not sure which coach called a TO first. The rulesmakers don't want you to pick one in a situation like that. If you are sure that one coach called a TO before the other, the case play does not apply. In that case, you just grant the first request and ignore the second.