View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
3 umpires vs. 2 umpires and an alleged higher level of game.

Each can do what they want, but NCAA has a limited number to deal with in a closed shop.

ASA has to address umpires from all games and all levels. ASA does have a mechanic which gives up the play and the partner is responsible for it. Problem is, if the partner did not see it, the runner must be safe.

NCAA notes that if you believe you are missing information, you go look for it. Well, from the C (which isn't supposed to happen in NCAA) the umpire is more often than not going to have a poor angle on whether the defender still had contact with 1B when receiving AND possessing the ball. IOW, it is not unusual to have a play where the umpire doesn't have 100% of every absolute piece of information, yet thousands of calls a day are made within those standards without issue.

I don't think you can always equally compare mechanics from different games since the set-up and demands are different. However, I will always stay with make the call that you saw. Has worked for me over 45 years, so I'm confident with it.
For the record, not all NCAA games are three man mechanics. There are several D3's that are still using two man, though I would like to see that change as well.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.