View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 29, 2010, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
+1. There's nothing on the video that indicates he got it wrong. He's got a better angle than the video does and it appears to be a charge even from the video.

There are too many officials that put way too big a burden on the defense. I see too many charges called blocks at all levels. One other problem I see a lot of is when the defender has LGP, it is assumed its always a charge if there is contact. NO. Don't call a foul unless the player was actually fouled. As silly as that sounds, it seems too many feel they must make a call when a no-call is the appropriate one. If the dribbler tries to go around a LGP defender, doesn't make it, there's contact but the defender wasn't displaced, you should probably pass on the call.
I could not agree more. The official in the clip called it a block. But it appears to be a charge even from the video angle. Thus the call is incorrect imo.

But in response to what I am trying to accomplish, the answer is what Texas Aggies says: Way too many charges are called blocks. What in the world could the defense have done better on this play. He sprinted to get between the dribbler and the goal, established LGP, maintained his position, and was run-over (thru the torso) by the offensive player. How is that not a charge?