View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 21, 2003, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nonstop
What philosophy do you follow with the "pass and crash" at the HS level?

A couple situations to think about:

1) On a drive in the lane A1 passes to A2. A1 immediately "crashes" into B1 who has a legal guarding position. A2 makes a basket. What if there are one or two steps after the pass before A1 "crashes", rather than immediately?

2) On a drive in the lane A1 passes to A2. A1 immediately "crashes" into B1 who has NOT obtained legal guarding position. A2 makes a basket.

What if players are on the floor? What if they aren't?

When is a no-call appropriate and when not?

I may have opened a can of worms here, but I think this play is a tough "instinctual" call. Meaning, if I don't think through the call now, I may leave myself hanging on the court.

Thanks!
Assuming this is FED, It all depends upon legal guarding position being attained and maintained.

1. After the ball leaves A1's hands we can no longer have a player control foul. Assuming B1 has legal guarding position it is a pushing foul on A1. If A2 has already released the try count the basket. If not then there is no basket. Regardless A's ball OOB nearest spot of foul.

2. Similar to sitch 1 except it is a block on B1. Count basket if already released and give A1 ball nearest spot of foul. If try has not yet been atempted A1 gets ball spot OOB nearest foul.

Someone else can help w/ rule references if you need them

If there is significant contact than there cannot be a no call IMO. I think we use the "no call" to bail ourselves out a little too often.