View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 25, 2010, 03:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Billy:

There have been a number of relevant Rules and Casebook Plays listed in this thread so far. But the key to this play is: The Game Official has stopped play because, in his judgment, thinks that the Player has suffered a concussion, has lost consciousness or has become unconscious, or is so injured that the GO believes that the Player should immediately be attended to by Bench Personnel, and therefore beckons for the Head Coach to leave the Bench and attend to his player. Once the GO beckons the HC onto the Court, the player must leave and cannot re-enter the game (if certain Rules requirements are met) until the first opportunity to substitute after the clock has started. I have highlighted the words “beckons the HC onto the Court” because it is the key action by the GO that applies to all similar situations.

MTD, Sr.
MTD nails this situation perfectly. I am always slow to beckon the coach; but once I've made the decision to do so, it's been done and the player needs to be replaced. The coach cannot circumvent this requirement by refusing to come onto the court. Whether he comes or not, he's been beckoned.

Signs of a concussion would only make it more vital to follow the rules as written.