View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 21, 2003, 08:23am
Get away from me, Steve.

This focusing on minor details such as this is what annoys me about message boards. The last time crap like this came up was when someone insisted that a coach doesn't "call" timeout, he only "requests" one. What baloney.

I don't care what signal the official gave; I care more about the game management aspects brought up in the second post.

It's a violation. The penalty for a violation is a turnover and a spot throw in. If you want to hang the guy for making an incorrect signal, go ahead -- I'd rather examine why this gentleman is regarded high enough to work D-I basketball.

I watched some officials work on Friday night. I had my first JV game in a month so I stayed and watched the boys' varsity game -- these guys work a college schedule as well. Did some college mechanics get mixed in, such as blowing the whistle before the lead put the ball in play and walking towards the table while reporting? Yes. Were they the best officials I've seen all season? Yes. Was I the ONLY person in the gym to recognize the minor mechanical differences? Yes.

Rich