View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 21, 2010, 05:54pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Bell Rung: Time Out, Or Sit A Tick ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Team A trails 56 to 55 with 60 seconds left in the game. Team A has the ball and is setting up a last second shot. A1, Team A's best player, accidentally trips over his own feet coming of a screen. A1 falls and hits his head on the floor. As he tries to stand up he stumbles a few steps. The official realizes that A1 is showing a symptom of a concussion and blows the whistle to stop the game. The official tells the coach that A1 "appears dizzy" and beckons the coach, and/or trainer, onto the court. The coach, realizing that he has used up all of his timeouts, and that if he steps onto the court he will have to remove his best player from the game, or take a time out at the expense of a technical foul, tells the official, from his bench, without ever stepping out onto the court, that, "A1 seems fine. I'll keep him in the game". By rule, if this were a normal injury, the sit a tick, or take a timeout, rule wouldn't apply because the coach and/or trainer did not come out onto the court. However, the way I read the new concussion rule, once the official feels that there is a concussion symptom, then even if the coach, and/or trainer, doesn't come out onto the court, the injured player who showed a symptom of a concussion must still sit a tick, or the coach must call a timeout, to keep him in the game. I am assuming that during the time interval to sit a tick, or during the timeout, a health care professional clears the player to continue playing in the game.
Here's what I got from one of our local "rules gurus":

If officials make a decision to "assist and defer" because they think the player is exhibiting signs or symptoms of a concussion, then that decision will require the player to have an assessment by a health care professional (HCP). Yes, such player will need to "sit a tick" unless such decision can be made by a HCP within the timeframe of a timeout. Our decision to "assist and defer" is made regardless if coach/trainer comes onto the floor or we beckoned coach/trainer to floor.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)