View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 17, 2010, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
A. No it doesn't. The only times the rule book says talks about whistles is about inadvertent whistles and to say that a foul before a snap or free kick should have a whistle to indicate the ball remains dead.

If you are talking about the officials manual it says things like "Find ball before sounding whistle." "Actually see ball in possession of runner who is down or forward progress stopped." "Before sounding whistle see the ball and be certain ball is dead."

Many times by the time you actually find the ball it would be stupid to sound the whistle as everyone has already stopped playing.

B. You should learn the rules.

"No player or non player shall: Charge into or throw an opponent to the ground after he is obviously out of the play, or after the ball is clearly dead either in or out of bounds."

Just because the ball is dead does not mean it is a foul if the defense knocks the runner down. In your play the ball was not clearly dead to any of the players so it would not be a foul.

C. Why do you care about them?

D. The whistle is used to get people's attention.
You are wrong

A. The book (officials manual--the "book that tells us how to officiate") says the following about the whistle:

"sounding the whistle sharply contributes to the reduction of fouls"
"When ball becomes dead sound whistle quickly and loudly"
"find ball before sounding whistle"
"When sounding whistle, do it wuickly and loudly"
"move in quickly to be certain all action stops on whistle"
"be ready to assist covering official after whistle has sounded"

** I did not find the following in the book (although some are true statements)
"if you never blow your whistle, you will never have an inadvertant whistle"

"Blow the whistle once the ball is down in your area-unless you don't want to"

"all players should know when the play is dead regardless of their distance from the ball, so heck with them"

B. I am pretty good on the rules, thanks.

You missed the point.

If a runner steps out and we don't have a whistle, the likelihood that he will be hit again (unnecessarily as he is already down) is much higher. Blow your stinkin whistle and let everyone know that the play is over.

C. Are you kidding. The players are the ones who we are paid (quite handsomely. I think we would all agree) to protect. Blowing the whistle is designed to halt contact between players. Less contact equals less injury). The players rely (as they should) on that notice to let them know that the play is over. If they are not in position to see the runner it is the ONLY way they will know when the play is over.

As for the coaches, they have far more invested in the game than we do. Sometimes their jobs depend upon it. To say that their opinions and that of the players don't matter leads me to believe that you are one of those officials that thinks that the game is about him. Enough said.

D. You are right. The whistle is used to get people's attention. The players, to alert them that the down is over by rule. That is why I prefer to have a whistle at the end of each down when possible.