View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 14, 2010, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As a side note I find your signature line very revealing considering how you go about making your arguments.
Well, DUH!

If the offensive team executes a shift in such a manner that simulates action at the snap,
the foul is a false start and not an illegal shift. The manner in which offensive players execute
shifts or go in motion can be fouls for a false start, but never for illegal shifts.
When linemen or backs initially set in an upright position or hands-on-knees position and
then drop into a three- or four-point stance for their final position, the action results in a
false start if it is done in a manner that simulates action at the snap. Such action must be
slow and deliberate
When the quarterback drops from an upright position to a position under the snapper, his
or her action must not simulate action at the snap or a false start has occurred. When the
quarterback withdraws his or her hands from underneath the snapper to go in motion, their
action must be deliberate and done in a manner not simulating the start of a down, and is
considered a shift. When the quarterback, while having his or her hands underneath the
snapper uses jerky movements of their head, arms or body while verbally sounding his signals
commits a foul. This action simulating a snap is a foul for a false start. Once the interior
linemen have assumed their final pre-snap set position on the line between the snapper
and the player on the end of the line and having placed their hand(s) on or near the
ground, they are locked into that position and may not move their hand(s) or make any
quick movement without committing a false start.
Remember the snapper is not restricted as are the interior linemen in regard to the lifting
of a hand(s) placed on or near the ground. A false start is always a dead-ball foul occurring
before the snap and resulting in a 5-yard penalty from the succeeding spot.

Last edited by bigjohn; Fri Oct 15, 2010 at 06:54am.