Thread: Choice of spot.
View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 20, 2003, 02:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green
Just a stupid question....
But who cares what side the ball comes in from? If the mechanic is not to bounce it (which by the way is idiotic in the backcourt that you cant) why not just go across the paint and give the player the ball?
I wasnt there but it seems to me that if you had said "ok coach" took three steps to the other side and put ball in play you could have avoided T's and evrything that goes along with one. what if he was pissed and picked up #2?

I cant imagine trying to write an incident report to the Association that stated the reason the whole situation was started was that I would not give the ball to the player on the other side of the paint...

The coach might be an idiot bu maybe he wanted his player at a certain spot, what if he knew there would be a press, they run a particular play, and he knew that you'd be in a better position to see wha was going on? If I can honor a reasonable request without breaking rules, I will. I'd think we'd want to do that. Save a lot more headaches than arguing over what spot it's coming in after a made basket..

I have a better one for you. What if the rules do not support what you suggest? If the rules do not support this, what is to say during a designated spot throw-in, he would not want the us to move then? If the coach does not understand that does not have a choice, what other things is he going to request thinking the rules support him? I have officiated hundreds of games and coaches never asked to put the ball in a particular spot until now. All they ever do is ask "where will the ball be after the timeout." This is not football where after a touchdown where they get a choice on which hash mark to put the ball. I only asked this question to see what others would do. Kevin, if you are going to wait around for request after ever made basket, then so be it. I am not. This is not the choice of the coach and if he was smart, he would have listen to me and just had his kid run across the other side and throw the ball in.

This was a newer coach and it was illustrated by his actions. I also a week before had a coach try to get me to move during a 3 man game and I was standing directly in front of his bench. This was another silly younger coach (not by age, but by experience) who did not realize he could get off his butt and look around me. Or should know better than to have me move so I cannot see the play that is going on right in front of me.

BTW, I asked some other officials before coming here, and this coaches request was one of the dumbest they had heard in their careers.

Peace